Thursday, October 23, 2008

Assignment 8

1. Ryann's academics haven't changed much. She still has the same issues with not scoring high in speaking and listening, but still scoring above average in reading and writing. She is still having trouble showing an interest in math and science so I am trying to get her a little more interested by taking her to museums and other fun outings. I am no longer reading aloud to her before bed as I feel she may have grown out of that stage. Now I am starting to read the same books she is and make sure that we talk about what is going on in the story periodically; I also recommend books that she may enjoy based off the stories she is reading now. I hope this helps with her speaking and listening abilities and it will certainly help to maintain her strength in reading.
2. Ryann has only a few close friends in her group but she is friendly to everyone and is making new friends through after school activities. For the most part she is adapting well socially at home and school. She is nervous about going into the sixth grade because of some rumors she's heard of what's going to happen to her now that she is a "scrub". I try and reassure her that those things won't happen and help ease her mind about going into middle school. Behaviorally we are not experiencing any major problems. She is still somewhat distractible during certain tasks but she is improving since age 8. I am allowing her to do some big chores in the summer so she can earn some extra money and my only worry is that she wont stick with it all the way through. The other behavorial issue is that she fights with her younger sister a lot. I'm just assuming this is normal behavioral for her age but I do make sure that their are consequences when things get too physical.
3. My parenting skills have changed slightly. I realize that Ryann is growing up and starting to learn what her likes and dislikes are. I also realize that she is becoming more independent. I try to encourage this behavior because she has always been a little clingy in her childhood. That is now starting to change as is she is branching out and making new friends. I allow her to ride her bike down to the school to play with her friends by herself, however I do drive by sometimes and check on her, just to be safe. I try to let her know that I am allowing her to be independant, but that I am still the one who sets the rules. We have a very good relationship so we haven't had any behavioral problems...yet.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ryann would really get along great with my son Mason. It seems like you've been a great mother to her. Keep up the good work!