Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Assignment 9

1. I have only noticed a few physical signs of puberty but Ryann's behavior is dramatically changing. Ryann started complaining about her weight because she was gaining some weight in her hips. I let her know that it was no big deal and it happens to everyone. Ryann is spending more time in her room than she used to when she was younger. She is more moody, tries to point out my mistakes and inconsistancies in parenting, argues with my boyfriend, and her interest in school and social activites has declined. Another big thing is her interest in boys. She is starting to point out boys that she finds cute, whether they be a celebrity or a boy in her class. Ryann's behavior has been a whirlwind lately and I'm hoping it will calm down after puberty. Here's to hoping....
2. Ryann's behavior and academic changes make me think that she is under-controlled. When she was younger she was very positive and outgoing; now she is quiet, reserved, and mouthy. She isn't performing well at school and she is starting to be a little rebelous. She argues with people she doesn't like instead of being nice to them because they are her elders. She still asks for my permission to do things but she is starting become more independent and think that she has the freedom to do a lot of things that I wont allow. She tries to take advantage of her low grades by trying to get money just to maintain a good gpa. Some of the major changes have been moving neighborhoods/houses, her father and I got a divorce, and since preschool, she has a new sister. Some of these things, and puberty, are probably what are contributing to her behavior.
3. Ryann's academic skills have greatly decreased since entering 7th grade. She seems less motivated to do school work and even asked me if I would pay her for any good grades she recieved. She had all C's and B's on her report card at the end of the year and I have noticed that she is spending more time online than doing her homework. Ryann acts bored or gets angry when I try and help her with her homework so I arranged for her to meet with a tutor and hopefully that will help her handle all of her school work. I am still encouraging that she partake in anything she has an interest in.

1 comment:

Daniel Justus said...

Sounds like your getting a little rebellion from your child when it comes to academic work. Hopefully getting a tutor will increase her learning and get her back on track. Good Luck....