Thursday, November 13, 2008

16 years 11 months

1. Honestly, Ryann's grades are average, not the best by any means, but they could be worse. She seems to enjoy physics and math so a career based on those subjects would be good for her. She also enjoys music and learning about it but she's not very interested in actually playing an instrument, so that won't work for her. She has a B average and has yet to receive an A in any of her high school classes. As a straight-A high school student I'm a little bummed but hey, she's not me. Her weakness is still English, and I also think maybe Spanish and American History according to her report card.

2. She's been going out to parties lately and coming home smelling of illegal substances like alcohol and marijuana, while she swears she is not smoking marijuana she is going through the partying phase with alcohol use. Not too excited about that one...She has had a boyfriend for the past few months and he is a bad influence on her in my opinion. She went off to get matching tattoo's and thinks she might be in love. All of her friends are very influential to her social development but not for her emotional well-being. I have a feeling that when they break up, things in her world will not be too pleasant. Her peers aren't really influencing her school achievement though.

3. Ryann is experiencing the normal adolescent issues. She has been going out with friends on the weekends and she did come home one night smelling like marijuana but she sware she didn't do it and it was just because one of her friends was smoking outside. I told her that I trusted her enough to tell me the truth but I still told her about all of the negative effects of drugs. Another night out with friends she called me to come and pick her from a party. I acknowledged the fact that she called me to come get her instead of driving drunk or getting in the car with a drunk driver. Ryann has expressed that she is "in love" with her current boyfriend so I'm afraid she might engage in sexual activities with im. I talk to her about how she should make sure she is ready and maybe wait until they both mature a little bit, that way she will know if it is worth it or not. I also gave her "the talk" about safe sex. I think the risk taking behavior could be the fact that she has gotten into two accidents already since getting her license. She thinks that nothing can go wrong, and she thinks that there will be no consequences. I am making her pay for the insurance deductables and I did restrict her driving priveledges.

1 comment:

Daniel Justus said...

I have had the same misfortunes with my daughter and her choice in using marijuana and alcohol. I sucks right now but hopefully they will learn from there mistakes and grow out of the phase.